Employment and Volunteering
Join our team and help us further our mission.
LCJC is Looking for Part-Time Intake Specialist Interns!
LOUISIANA CIVIL JUSTICE CENTER (LCJC) INTAKE INTERN
The Louisiana Civil Justice Center (LCJC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that offers the public legal advice and information, free and low-cost legal representation referrals, and self-help resources.The Louisiana Civil Justice Center (LCJC) was established in 2006 to connect displaced residents with legal services following Hurricane Katrina and Rita. Over the years, LCJC’s mission has expanded to provide legal services to low-income and other vulnerable populations across Louisiana. Through a toll-free statewide hotline staffed by Intake Specialists and Staff Attorneys, LCJC is the first line of communication for thousands of residents facing critical legal issues. Through the hotline and public programming, LCJC effectively assists more than 15,000 individuals a year resolve legal problems that affect their basic quality of life, such as the maintenance of housing and income, the stability of a family, or the health and well-being of their children.
LCJC seeks one part-time Intake intern to work in our New Orleans office starting April 3rd 2017. The Intake Specialist is responsible for responding to calls and conducting intake on LCJC’s legal hotline. The intake specialist will gather relevant case details from each caller and work closely with LCJC’s legal director to provide legal information and referrals.The intake specialist may also occasionally be asked to perform clerical or administrative tasks.
This position is a part-time, paid internship. The intake intern will work 10-15 hours per week.
- Answering LCJC’s legal hotline.
- Taking each caller through intake, gathering and summarizing case information for staff attorneys in LCJC’s case management system
- Efficiently and sensitively handling a large volume of callers in need of disaster legal assistance
- Providing all callers with appropriate referrals and information about a wide range of civil legal issues
- Working with LCJC Staff Attorneys to ensure that callers receive timely and quality legal advice that helps callers resolve legal matters
- Conducting client follow up and keeping abreast of unanswered calls and voice messages
- Providing attorneys and other staff with clerical and administrative support as necessary
- Applicants must be interested in working with low-income, elderly, and other vulnerable populations in a small non-profit environment.
- Applicants need to be flexible and adaptable to change in the workplace.
- Applicants must have excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Applicants must have a strong organizational skills and an attention to detail.
- Computer proficiency is required, including familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and a willingness to learn new programs including case management systems.
HOURLY WAGE: This internship pays 11 dollars per hour.
Send cover letter and resume by March 24th 2017. Please type “Intake Specialist Internship” in the email subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
LCJC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY.http://laciviljustice.org
LCJC is dedicated to increasing access to justice in Louisiana and relies on volunteers to further this goal. As a nonprofit with limited staff, LCJC always has a need for volunteers. LCJC welcomes attorneys, law students and community volunteers a unique chance to put their skills to good use by helping the people of Louisiana. Our volunteers are instrumental in helping provide crucial legal services to low-income and indigent persons. If you are seeking short or long term volunteer opportunities that directly affect the Louisiana community we have it here at LCJC!
- Help Needed! — LCJC has an immediate need for attorney volunteers for our Court-Based Self Help Resource Center located at Orleans Civil District Court. If you are interested, please sign up using the button below.